Monday, June 29, 2009

Smashbox HD Healthy FX Foundation review

I got this as one of my samples from Ulta and figured I'd try it out. It's my first experience with Hi-def makeup and I'd have to say that I'm really not that impressed lol -_-;; Not in bad ways though, just not in mind-blowing this-stuff-is-the-ish ways. Anyways, I'm still up for trying MUFE's HD foundation since I've heard some good stuff about that (I wanna try Dior's Diorskin foundation too... anyone like it?). I'm really not all that into liquid foundation (my skin is mineral-spoiled) but I figure I might as well try and mix up the routine now and then.

Smashbox High Definition Healthy FX foundation in Light L2

Price: $38

What they say: Now you can have flawless skin from the inside out. Our revolutionary HIGH DEFINITION HEALTHY FX FOUNDATION is an oil-free, weightless formula packed with anti-aging, revitalizing, and firming ingredients that work overtime to provide cellular nutrition for skin. UVA/UVB SPF 15 offers sun protection, vitamin C fights free radicals, and new cell-energizing Ribose renews the appearance of skin. Our unique, patented bio-delivery system gives you time-released moisturization and firming benefits that last all day. Skin is refreshed and revitalized for a flawless future. Best of Sephora Award Nominee for Best Foundation.

Ingredients: ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: 5.0% Octinoxate (2-Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), 3.2% Titanium Dioxide. INGREDIENTS: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Butylene Glycol, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Polysilicone-11, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Hexyl Laurate, Polyglyceryl-4-Isostearate, Dimethicone/Divinyl Dimethicone/Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Lecithin, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Ribose, Sodium Chloride, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Alumina, Propylene Carbonate, Disodium EDTA, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sorbitan Laurate, Propylene Glycol Laurate, Ascorbyl Palmitate. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.... Whooo check out that extensive listing X_x

The good stuff:
  • Lots of shades to choose from
  • Smooth, lightweight formula
  • Easy to apply, glides on like lotion
  • Absorbs fairly quickly
  • Not cakey, oily, or sticky
  • More of a semi-matte finish IMO
  • Smells like... brown sugar to me. Idk lol it just does.
  • Buildable coverage with spf 15
  • Long-wearing

The low-down:

  • Expensive
  • Not as much of a dewy finish as I'd like
  • Made me look kind of orange in natural light
  • It's nothing really special IMO :/

My take: Like I mentioned, I wasn't too impressed with this foundation. It boasts skin-healthy ingredients and great on-camera performance, but I didn't really see much difference from my regular EDM pressed powder. It photographs the same. It does go on smoothly and blends well and can be built up for more coverage but it still didn't cover my freckles (not a bad thing though). It smells nice (might be too much for some people), glides on, moisturizes, and protects but it had more of a matte finish IMO and I'm more partial to a dewy finish, which even my pressed powder does a better job of. It's NOT cakey though, just looks matte. Might have been because I used my BB cream as a primer before application.

However, I did like that it lasted all day and did not smear the eyemakeup around the bottom of my eye which usually happens to me even with powder. It did a good job of masking my undereye circles but inevitably by the end of the day, my puffiness returned -_-;; Anyways, I don't think I really would spend $38 on this but it still is a good foundation, but again, nothing super special.

Sheer but buildable coverage:























You can still see my freckles.






















Performs on-camera the same way my EDM pressed powder does.



























3 comments :

  1. I bought that foundation sometime last year, used it for a week or two then neglected it :( I didnt think it did much for my skin. Luckily, I gave it to my sister and it's in a loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review. $38, IS expensive for foundation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. neat review!
    I agree, it didn't look all that special on my skin either. I much preferred MUFE HD foundation.

    ReplyDelete

If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to drop me a line and I'll get back to you asap :)