Friday, August 14, 2009

ELF Studio Corrective Concealer review

One word: DISAPPOINTMENT!









































ELF Studio Corrective Concealer

What they say: Conceals under-eye darkness, blemishes and other skin imperfections with customized coverage. Brightens under-eye circles and neutralizes redness. Convenient size for on-the-go travel.

What to do: Use the nude and beige shades to conceal problematic areas. Use the green shade to neutralize redness like that of acne and the lilac shade to brighten yellow tones.

Ingredients: Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Octyldodecanol, Mica, Candelilla Wax (Candelilla Cera), Synthetic Wax, Triacontanyl PVP, Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax). May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499), Maganese Violet (CI77742), Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Ultramarine Violet (CI77077).

The good stuff:
  • Sleek, portable compact with mirror and applicator brush
  • Inexpensive
  • Smooth, blendable texture and light feel
  • 4 Color-correcting shades
  • Somewhat conceals and brightens

The low-down:

  • Extremly sheer, light coverage!!
  • Slight sticky feel after applied
  • Needs many layers for coverage
  • Ends up looking pasty when applied enough
  • The brush is pretty much useless

My take: I had really high hopes for this concealer palette since I've been wanting one with green and lilac but this is really an example of YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. It's not all bad I suppose, but I'm really not liking this at all. First, the good points are that of course, it's cheap. The compact is a great style and very slim for toting in your bag. It comes with a tiny brush which is soft but there's so little bristles that I doubt it would work very well so I never used it.

The texture of the concealer seems smooth and lightweight HOWEVER when applied I find that it leaves somewhat of a "film" on my face... I can feel the concealer sitting on my skin. It is very smooth and blendable but the coverage is so SHEER! It's basically useless unless you layer it on... and then it looks pasty and cakey. The green did somewhat conceal my redness but it was still visible. The lilac "seemed" to brighten the bridge of my nose, but it might just be my wishful thinking. The skin tone shades just make me look pasty.

I concluded that each shade, once applied and thorougly rubbed in; pretty much turns to the same, bland shade... which looks pretty much like NOTHING. So I tried applying more and more to get better coverage, and it just ended up looking like a mess and feeling sticky. I think that this concealer would be better for people who have near perfect skin and just need a quick pick-me-up for tiny blemishes. For me, I have redness around my nose and chin, freckles, and terrible dark circles and this concealer doesn't cut it.

BOO! :(

Maybe this will work better for other people, but I am not a fan.




6 comments :

  1. Thanks for this review. I was checking into buying a concealer and now I know when I see this one not to get it. I hate stuff that you know is on your face, I like stuff that you can apply and never know it's there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww sorry it didnt work for you =[ it worked well for me, but like you said yeah, it was a really quick pick-me-up for my tiny blemishes.. btw, whats ur face product on the studio line? im thinking of ordering another batch of new studio line items i haven't tried yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww shucks! just looking at the packaging it looked kind of promising but yea... no can do with sheer coverage concealers.. my dark circles need heavy concealing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some people say it works great for them, but I have redness at the top part of my cheeks and it doesnt cover that. The brush, while it is soft IS pretty much useless =(. I had high hopes for this too, but blah. I was disappointed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tee - Ugh yeah I hate that feeling! You should check out NYX jar concealer, I love it!

    Amy - I know the packaging looks so nice! I wish I didn't have dark circles :P

    Marie - Yeah it doesn't conceal my redness very well :( And the brush is just crap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this on my wish list but I think I'll take it out! thanks for reviewing! What's the point of having such a sheer concealer! Perhaps you could look in to mehron or ben nye for color neutralizers :) The wheels are relatively inexpensive and I've read that they work great

    ReplyDelete

If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to drop me a line and I'll get back to you asap :)