Friday, August 23, 2013

Review: Hot Buns -- Does it work?

You've probably heard of Hot Buns from late-nite infomercials... or at least that's where I first heard of them. Anywho I was happy to find that they were available at my local Walmart! My coworker bought it for me so we could see if it really works as good as it did on TV.

Price: $9.88 from Walmart

Product Description: The As Seen On TV Hot Buns is a wonderful hair accessory that will let you roll, snap and wrap your hair into a bun without having to rely on pins. The Dark Hair Hot Buns let you make beautiful buns in less than a minute. You can even sleep in the As Seen On TV Hair Buns and create beautiful, bouncy curls and waves overnight. This lightweight, comfortable hair accessory is a fast and easy way to create buns and curly hair.

As Seen On TV Hot Buns, Dark Hair:
  • Beautiful buns in less than a minute
  • Lightweight
  • Comfortable
  • Perfect for casual or elegant wear
  • Sleep in it to create beautiful, bouncy curls and waves
  • Fast and easy to use for all ages
I got Dark, which looks like this: 

You get 2 sizes, small and large.

Directions:
It's very easy to use. You just tie your hair in a ponytail where you want the bun to be situated. Then you take your ponytail (I hold it in front of my face), and center the end of your ponytail in the middle of the Hot Buns roller. Then simply roll your hair (not loosely but not too tight either) along the roller, continuously rolling it towards your head until you have wound your entire ponytail on it. Then just wrap it so it forms the bun, snap the ends together, and even out the distribution of hair around the bun so it completely covers the roller. Then secure the bun with the attached hair tie.
Step 1: Take the Hot Bun Stalk and roll it with your hair upwards.
Step 2: Then snap it and wrap it, just like that.
Step 3: Secure it using an elastic band. You can even make half buns or side chignons using this hair accessory.
- See more at: http://hotbuns-reviews.com/hot-buns-hair/hot-buns-product-review/#sthash.NZeKRDFo.dpuf
Step 1: Take the Hot Bun Stalk and roll it with your hair upwards.
Step 2: Then snap it and wrap it, just like that.
Step 3: Secure it using an elastic band. You can even make half buns or side chignons using this hair accessory.
- See more at: http://hotbuns-reviews.com/hot-buns-hair/hot-buns-product-review/#sthash.NZeKRDFo.dpuf
Step 1: Take the Hot Bun Stalk and roll it with your hair upwards.
Step 2: Then snap it and wrap it, just like that.
Step 3: Secure it using an elastic band. You can even make half buns or side chignons using this hair accessory.
- See more at: http://hotbuns-reviews.com/hot-buns-hair/hot-buns-product-review/#sthash.NZeKRDFo.dpuf

This is what a finished bun with the large roller looks like:

Step 1: Take the Hot Bun Stalk and roll it with your hair upwards.
Step 2: Then snap it and wrap it, just like that.
Step 3: Secure it using an elastic band. You can even make half buns or side chignons using this hair accessory.
- See more at: http://hotbuns-reviews.com/hot-buns-hair/hot-buns-product-review/#sthash.NZeKRDFo.dpuf


Then to test if it would really give those gorgeous curls, I left it in for 7 hours. This is my hair after I took down the bun:



So clearly it does work for buns and waves! Yet I was expecting tighter and more volumnious curls. It does have some pros and cons.

Pros:

  • Inexpensive and easily available
  • You get 2 sizes 
  • Comes in different colors (black, dark, blonde)
  • Easy to use
  • Doesn't damage hair
  • Lightweight and comfortable
  • Makes perfect buns and nice waves

Cons:

  • May not work on every hair type
  • Curled hair still requires styling to look good
  • Doesn't give tight curls with volume
  • Hard to sleep in (for me)

My take: 

Overall I think this product works great for buns. As you can see, it makes the perfect donut-shaped bun and holds the shape well. Having it in is not uncomfortable for me at all and I pretty much forget I have it in!

However if you want to get waves, you have to leave it in several hours. I slept in it overnight once and I have to say, it's not comfortable! I did a pretty high bun and I still couldn't get comfortable on my pillow. And on my hair at least, it really doesn't create big bouncy curls. It makes GREAT waves, don't get me wrong, it's just not as tight and voluminous as I anticipated and still requires styling (hair spray, teasing, finger-combing) to get it looking nice. It doesn't just fall out into beautiful curls like on the commercial.

Would I repurchase/recommend?

I don't see myself repurchasing this since it's going to last well, forever lol... I would recommend this to people with long, manageable hair, and who want to have an easy way to make a perfect bun every time. I would also recommend this to people looking for an easy way to get nice wavy hair. I can't guarantee it will work on every hair type though. My coworker has the same kind of hair as me (straight, long) and she said this didn't work for her at all. So I guess it really depends on the person, you have to try it to find out.

  The Rundown: 


Packaging: N/A

Product: 5/5
Works pretty much as-advertised! Easy to use, doesn't pull or tug hair, makes a great bun, and some nice waves!

Price: 5/5
Wallet-friendly and available at Walmart!

Overall:

 
[ Click here to read about my Review & Rating System ]



12 comments :

  1. I've tried the popular hair doughnut, which I think is similar, but I can never cover the whole doughnut with my hair! I love how natural your curls look though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that I have long thick hair sometimes XD Some days I just want to chop it off though haha! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Try dampening your hair just a little tiny bit, and putting on some curling moisturizing cream (I like Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk). Also, if you put the bun on the very tippy top of your head, you can sleep comfortably. I do this with fully-rolled-sock-buns. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I wasn't clear... the dampening and curling cream is to get it to hold a curl better/tighter.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip Kellie! I'll definitely try this next time :)

      Delete
  3. I tried it on my cute sister. It looks very beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it worked for you and your sister! :)

      Delete
  4. hi,,thanx for review,good bun..I bought it yesterday,I am still practising on my thick layered hair!What I wondered is..Could we use the roll with the clip at the front,?I find it difficult fastening at the back.Thanx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as long as you can cover up the clip with your hair, it will be fine in the front too :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the review :) I tried it with my layered hair, but the shorter layers just keep falling out :( Love your curls though, simply gorgeous :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. why is it that I cannot cover the whole bun with my hair? It looks good (somewhat) all the way around until I get to the bottom where you clasp, and I cannot seem to get my hair to cover all of the bun at the bottom. Am I doing something wrong? or is my hair just not long enough yet? My hair is not as long as yours but close. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, is it true that you can get a better bun with wet hair? You think if I had wet hair that it would help completely cover the bun or is it just the fact that I do not have long enough hair to cover it?

    ReplyDelete

If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to drop me a line and I'll get back to you asap :)