Saturday, February 25, 2012

Review & Swatches: Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Creamsicle & Strawberry Shortcake

I had been hearing so much about these lately that I just had to jump on the bandwagon and try them out for myself ;P Walmart was pretty much wiped out, but Target had all of them in stock :D I opted for a nude and a pink, since that's pretty much the only shades I wear :P

Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Creamsicle and Strawberry Shortcake


Price: $6.49 from Target


What they say:
- Buttery Balm + Shiny Color
- Buttery balm with beautiful shiny color to give you baby soft, healthy glowing lips
- 94% of women felt lips were softer, smoother, and instantly hydrated.
- Hydrating mango, shea and coconut butter formula boosts lip moisture by 156%
- Pampering gel formula provides super charged hydration and glides on lips buttery smooth
- Sheer to medium colour with buttery shine
- Available in 20 luscious shades

What to do: Starting with clean, dry lips apply your favorite shade of Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter onto lips. Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter can be worn with or without Lipliner. Reapply as often as desired for softer, smoother and instantly hydrated lips!


Left to right: Creamsicle, Strawberry Shortcake


Creamsicle is a sheer but buildable pale nudey peach shade.
It's PERFECT as an everyday nude lip for me :3


Strawberry Shortcake is like a bubblegum pink. Although it's bright pink and has a pop to it, it worked really nicely with my skin tone so it actually is a nice everyday pink lip for me.. I was pleasantly surprised with this shade :D

The good stuff:
  • Lots of shades to choose from
  • Great pigmentation / color is buildable
  • Has moisturizing properties
  • Doesn't overly dry out my lips
  • Glossy balm sheen
  • Decent lasting time
  • No weird smell/taste
  • Super cute packaging corresponds to color
The low-down:
  • Wasn't all that moisturizing for me
  • Application "drags" a bit on me
  • Not as smooth or lightweight as I'd imagine when I think of "lip butter"
My take: While I really love the shades I got, I was a little disappointed in the texture and feel of these "lip butters." I expected them to be a lot more "buttery" and slick to smooth on with a lightweight feel. They're more like a thick balm -- practically like a lipstick. In all fairness though, I do have dry flaky lips and the weather has been rather cold lately. So before I apply these, I have to buff my lips and apply a clear balm in order for the lip butters to apply smoothly. I'm thinking it's because it's been chilly lately, the lip butters are a bit "stiff" -- They dragged on my lips when I tried to apply them without a base, resulting in patchy color settling into lip lines galore :/ I suppose if the weather was warmer, these lip butters would soften up and apply more smoothly, but we'll have to see... the weather here is so fickle. I was also under the impression that these would be more on the sheer side so that I could apply them alone as a tinted balm, but because of the pigmentation, like I mentioned, they're actually more like a lipstick in my opinion.

Other than that, once I prep my lips w/ buffing & clear balm, these apply a lot smoother and have a great glossy sheen to them. They do feel somewhat conditioning because of the thick balm texture. I'd say lasting power is about 3 hours, which is average for me. It doesn't end up overly drying out my lips, it just kind of absorbs into my lips like most other lipsticks/balms do on me and leaves them feeling dry, but smooth. I definitely can't say I agree with their claims that it boosts lip moisture by 156% though :/

Creamsicle is currently my go-to nude lippie. It's quite sheer but on my lips, it is buildable to a nice subtle nude -- also great for mixing with other lippies to soften up the color. I was also really happy with Strawberry Shortcake! Usually I'm a bit wary to venture into brighter pink shades, so this was a stretch for me. But I actually love it! It's also sheer but not as sheer as Creamsicle. About 2 swipes gets you good pigmentation. It's such a flattering pink shade that I've worn it every day since I bought it! It just has a way of melding with my lip color into a lovely MLBB pink. Love it!

Would I repurchase/recommend?: I could see myself repurchasing these shades because I'm happy with them, but I would like to try some of the other shades of Lip Butters as well. I would recommend these to anyone who wants a sheer to buildable pigmented lip color that has moisturizing properties. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who has really dry/flaky lips... or I would suggest that you prep your lips really well before applying.


The Rundown:

Packaging:
5/5
Super cute & colorful packaging, corresponds to shade.

Product:
4/5
Great pigmentation, but not as moisturizing as I'd like.

Price: 5/5
Affordable.

Overall:

[ click here to read about my Review & Rating System ]

No comments :

Post a Comment

If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to drop me a line and I'll get back to you asap :)