Friday, February 24, 2012

Product Revisit, Review, & Comparison: NYX Blush Brush VS Shu Uemura Blush Brush

***This is a really old post that has been sitting in my queue for a long time, just thought I'd publish it now XD***

Product Revisit:
SHU UEMURA BLUSH BRUSH

If you read my Shu Uemura mini brush set review, you'll know that I was really disappointed with the Blush Brush because it was not at all as soft as I expected it to be. Thus, I haven't been using it... my heart is taken by the amazingly luxuriously soft EcoTools Blush brush.

However, on a whim, I decided to wash the Shu Blush Brush to see if that would make it a little softer. I wash my brushes with Method Kid Squeaky Green Body wash because it's gentle, 99% natural, and smells like apples.

And lo and behold, washing the brush made it A LOT softer! Not nearly as scratchy as before! BUT.... Now, it STINKS. LIKE HELL. Like seriously, it smells so bad. Is it because the bristles are animal hair? Cause it smells like an animal now. I mean, the smell lightened up after a few days but it still smells pretty bad. When I use this shampoo on my other brushes, it makes them smell like apples! (but those are synthetic bristles).


Overall, I would be a lot happier with this brush if it didn't smell so bad (I think I'll try washing it again, maybe?) but washing it did make it a lot softer. It still picks up powder well and works great for a light dusting of powder.

Product Review:
NYX BLUSH BRUSH

Next I wanted to do a full review on the NYX Blush Brush that I got from the $1 NYX sale. If you read the quick blurb I wrote about that brush, I said it reminded me of the Shu blush brush but was more prickly.


Price: reg. $10, I got it for $1.

What they say: Angled to the apple of your cheek to sweep powder blush just where you need it. For perfect application and contouring.


The good stuff:

  • Okay ONLY IF it costs $1
  • Compact size
  • Sleek design
  • Picks up and deposits powder well
The low-down:
  • Prickly!!! Not soft at all!!!
  • Feels so scratchy on cheeks.
  • NOT WORTH $10.
My take: I like that this brush is small. The brush head is fluffly and does a good job at picking up and depositing powder. However, it is so scratchy! It is not soft at all, now that I compare it with the Shu brush. Since I only paid $1 for it, I don't mind it that much, but in my opinion, it is NOT worth $10. This is the second NYX brush I've tried and been totally disappointed with (the other one being their small concealer brush - $5) and their brushes are not exactly "cheap," taking the size and quality into consideration. ELF, for example, makes WAY better brushes in their Studio line, for a fraction of the price.

Would I repurchase/recommend?: No, I will not repurchase this brush, and I don't think I will buy any of NYX's brushes for that matter. They make great makeup, but I feel the brushes are lacking in quality. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone either, especially when you can get the amazing EcoTools Blush Brush for ~$6-8!


Product Comparison:

Lastly, I wanted to make a quick comparison between the Shu blush brush and the NYX blush brush.
  • They are around the same size.
  • They both have sleek designs.
  • The brush head is full and fluffy.
  • They both pick up and deposit powder well.
  • However, they both are not very soft and prickly on skin.
That just goes to show that sometimes, pricier is not always better! : )




No comments :

Post a Comment

If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to drop me a line and I'll get back to you asap :)