Thursday, April 28, 2011

Review: NYC Lip Sliders Tinted Lip Balm in "Sugar Coated"


Price: ~$3.00 (I got mine from Walmart)

What they say:Delivers a sheer pop of color with an intense gloss finish. Hydrating and conditioning formula with rich botanical oils & vitamins leaves lips extra soft. Sweet flavor makes this a yummy treat!

Benefits:Hydrating & conditioning formula protects lips
Gives lips a sheer pop of color and intense shine

Application tips:Apply a thin layer of balm to lips as often as desired.

Key ingredients:
Rich emollient oils and butters
Infused with vitamins

What's in it:(click to view larger)




The good stuff:
  • Inexpensive
  • Sheer but buildable color
  • Very glossy
  • Feels conditioning/moisturizing on lips
  • Tastes/smells good
  • Relatively long lasting
  • Cute packaging
The low-down:
  • Very sticky/tacky texture -- use a lip brush!
  • Packaging is a tad flimsy
  • Limited shade selection
My take: I was interested in trying this lip balm for awhile but never got around to buying it until recently. I must admit, it was the packaging that hooked me -- it's super cute! And the product inside is a lot better than I expected it would be ;)
Another look at the cute packaging and product:
I do think the packaging is a bit flimsy though... I've accidentally slid the entire lid off a few times... don't know my own strength, eh? XD And I'm not really a fan of products in tubs / pots / tins because they're unhygenic and I'd rather quickly apply & go from a squeeze tube, rather than dip my fingers/brush into it; if I had the choice. However, since this product is so cheap, I can't complain.

The texture of this lipbalm feels very moisturizing and conditioning on lips. It is thick, however, and I personally feel it is borderline "goopy" ...but still feels nice on lips. The more layers you add though; the "goopier" it starts to feel. So I usually settle for 2 layers, which gives me enough color to cover my medium-pigmented lips. I do suggest you use a lip brush to apply this because if you get it on your fingers/face/hair, it is SUPER sticky/tacky. I actually also mainly use this as a "night treatment" because it lasts overnight on my lips and I wake up in the morning with softer, smoother, hydrated lips.

"Sugar Coated" is a very light baby pink. The color is sheer but buildable and has a glossy sheen to it -- it's a balm that looks like a gloss AND has better conditioning properties! This balm smells/tastes like artificial cotton candy IMO... it is sweet but does not bother me THAT much. I kind of like it. I'd rather it taste good than like medicine. But if you are sensitive to scents/flavors; this might bother you a bit.

According to Holly Ann-AeRee, this is also a dupe for MAC's Boy Bait Cremesheen. I wouldn't know for certain because I don't own it. But here are some swatches of Sugar Coated, if you'd like to compare:

No flash

Flash
Flash ------------------------ No flash

From the swatches I get from googling; I'd say they are pretty similar.
Would I repurchase/recommend?: I suppose I would repurchase this product, but I would want to try different shades. I would recommend this to anyone looking for an affordable and cute lipbalm -- that doubles as a gloss. I would also recommend this particular shade if you're looking for an inexpensive dupe of Boy Bait.

The Rundown:

Packaging:
4/5
Cute little purple slidey case. Not so hygenic and a bit flimsy but still pretty darn cute.

Product: 4/5
Sheer but buildable. Feels conditioning; just don't like how sticky/tacky it is if it gets on anything other than your lips. Use a lip brush.

Price: 5/5
Good value for the price.

Overall:

No comments :

Post a Comment

If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to drop me a line and I'll get back to you asap :)