Price: $51 for 50g (cellnique.com)
What they say: This unparalleled scrub mask is formulated with bio-captured fresh fruit enzymes and acids complex. It works effectively in exfoliating dead cells, optimizing cellular renewal performance and deep pore cleansing, thus revealing a softer, fresher and healthier skin.
• Promotes cell renewal
• Slows down aging process
• Exfoliates dead skin cells
• Lightening, brightening and instant radiant effects
Color: Grayish white
Scent: Fresh fruity scent
Texture: Clay type
Feeling: Mild tingling sensation
What to do:
What's in it:
Alpha Hydroxyl Acid: AHAs are known to have the ability to rejuvenate skin by exfoliating dead cells from the skin, this further causes the skin to grow new cells to replace the damaged cells. AHAs also helps in wrinkles and photo-aging.
• Papaya enzyme + Bromelain from pineapple fruit extract
• Bromelain, an enzyme derived from pineapple plant, Bromelain helps digest keratin protein and promote exfoliation effectively. Skin appears smooth and brightens after the dead skin cells being removed.
• Papain, an enzyme derived from papaya, helps exfoliate damaged and dead skin cells to prevent clogged pores that can result in skin eruptions. It is able to whiten and soften the skin, heal wounds and prevent the subsequent development of pimples.
Full ingredient list: Purified Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Kaolin, Glycolic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, C12-20 Acid PEG-8 Ester, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Papaya (Carica papaya) Enzyme (Papain), Phenoxyethanol, Trithanolamine, Caprylyl Glycol, Titanium Dioxide, Citric Acid, Pomelo (Citrus grandis) Peel Extract, Pineapple (Ananas sativus) Fruit Extract, Acrylate / C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Potassium Sorbate.
The good stuff:
- Smells like pineapple!!!
- Pretty easy to apply
- Gritty-creamy texture
- Has little exfoliating particles
- Contains AHAs (did not irritate my skin!)
- Dries quickly
- Leaves skin smooth & soft
- Improves skin tone/texture
- Leaves skin looking radiant and healthy
- The scent becomes kind of odd after awhile (for me)
- The exfoliating particles may be a bit harsh
- You need to use a lot to cover your entire face evenly
My take: Let me start off by saying... this masque smells like pineapple! I love pineapple, so that's a plus for me :D However, after awhile of leaving the masque on, it starts to smell... not so appealing anymore? :/ But it's not a big deal for me. The texture is thick, creamy, and gritty. Easy to slather on, but you have to keep using more and more to cover your entire face in an even layer. My little sample pot has 3g in it, and I used a little more than half the pot for one use, so say, around 2g? The full-size is a 50g tub.... you're basically paying $1 per gram; $2 per use (if you're using the same amount I did). So in 1 full-size tub, I'd estimate that there are ~25 uses. But if you are following the directions and using it 1x a week, it should last ~6 months (of course, don't quote me on this!)
The little exfoliating bits are gentle, but as with any exfoliating product, it might be harsh on sensitive skin, even more so because of the AHAs. I did not really feel any "mild tingling sensation" like the product description states, but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, haha XD This masque did not irritate my skin though. The overall results? Radiant, clear, smooth, soft skin! I have been using Cellnique's Derma Brightening Complex religiously for the past 2 months, so that is mainly what I would contribute my current "nice skin" to. However, the masque did a great job of making it look nicer :D
Would I repurchase/recommend?
Unfortunately, the only thing really stopping me from buying the full-size product is the PRICE. $51 is a bit too steep for me. PLUS, I feel like I can get very similar and wonderful results using Queen Helene Mud Pack Masque, which only costs $3.99! Sooo... while I think this is an excellent masque that yields great results, I wouldn't repurchase anytime soon; it is definitely more of a "luxury" product! If the price doesn't deter you though, I would certainly recommend it. Maybe not so much for people with sensitive skin though... but you could always patch test/use a very thin layer of product instead of slathering it on like I did :P