Saturday, August 15, 2009

ELF haul product reviews [updated]

This is what I got this time around:






















Studio Kabuki Brush






















Price: $3.00

What they say: This new anti bacterial, synthetic haired Taklon brush is softer and more absorbent and can be used with wet or dry products. Be a professional makeup artist and create a flawless look with this e.l.f. studio brush! Our handy and easy to use Kabuki Brushes provide a light to full coverage on your face or body to ensure a flawless finish. The compact brush is perfectly sized to allow for precise and controlled application of bronzer, powder, or a highlighter on your skin.

The good stuff:
  • Inexpensive
  • Cute design
  • Dense brush head
  • Bristles are soft to the touch
  • Picks up product well
  • Creates a nice flawless finish
  • Mine had no shedding/smell

The low-down:

  • The bristles are not too soft on the face

My take: Overall, I really like this brush. I daresay it does create somewhat of an "airbrushed" finish :P While the bristles are extremely soft on the hand, I find that they aren't that soft on the face. However, the brush head is dense enough to easily pick up and apply powder. I really like the design since I've been wanting MUFE's Kabuki brush... and this one just caught my eye. Although it's nowhere near as good as a higher-end brand, it does the job.

I also got their Powder brush for my Mom. The brushes I got this time around had that chemical smell but no noticeable shedding so far. This brush has soft bristles but is firm enough, however, the brush head was all mushed out of shape :( I haven't used this brush yet but all I've heard about it is good reviews~





























Nourishing Cuticle pen






















Price:
$1.00

What they say: Relieves dry nails and flakey cuticles. The unique pen delivery system moisturizes cuticles effectively and the quick dry formula allows for a no mess application. Fortified with Vitamins E, A, C, Pro-Vitamin B5 and Aloe, this fast-acting complex deeply hydrates, nourishes and seals in moisture. The key ingredients Avocado and Almond Oils help to condition nails and cuticles for improved appearance. The result is softer, easy to manage cuticles and healthy hydrated nails.

What to do: Remove cap. Brush onto cuticles and bare nails as often as needed.

Ingredients: Isododecane, sweet almond oil, grape seed oil, avocado oil, tocopherol, ascorbyl, panthenol, aloe vera oil.

The good stuff:
  • Inexpensive
  • Sleek design
  • Portable
  • Moisturizing & effective

The low-down:

  • Can get a little messy if you use too much

My take: I'm really satisfied with this! It really does seem to nourish and moisturize my dry cuticles and keep them that way for awhile. I use this often. If you apply too much though, it does tend to get a little oily. Other than that, no complaints!!

Mineral Eyeshadow primer






















Price: $3.00

What they say: This gentle and completely sheer Eyeshadow Primer has key vitamins A, C and E to help prevent aging and moisturizes the skin. The formula glides on easily and disappears instantly to create longer-lasting, crease-proof eyeshadow. The Mineral Eyeshadow Primer is designed to be used with your favorite mineral eyeshadow to provide ultimate staying power for beautiful and vibrant color that lasts. 100% mineral based with no parabens, no preservatives and no chemical dyes.

What to do: Apply a small amount to the eyelid and blend in. Use as a base prior to applying eyeshadow.

Ingredients: Isododecane, Cylopentasiloxane, Octyl Palmitate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Triacontanyl PVP, Propylene Carbonate, Titanium Dioxide, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163).

The good stuff:
  • Inexpensive
  • Glides on smoothly
  • Creates a good base for eyeshadow
  • Increases staying powder and crease resistance
  • Moisturizes eye area
  • A little goes a long way

The low-down:

  • Consistency/texture is a little thin
  • If you put too much, it gets messy
  • Smells a little funny

My take: This is of course, not as good as UDPP but I'd have to say that I like it. The texture is smooth and easily blended in, albeit a little thin... so don't use too much or you'll end up just rubbing it around and making it look messy. I only need a little bit to cover my entire eye area. Since it's thinner than UDPP, it dries slower, which is good because it gives you time to rub it in, but is not so good because you have to wait longer for it to dry. It does increase the color payoff of eyeshadows as well as staying power and resistance to creasing, but again, it is not as good as UDPP. It also smells a bit funny but not horrible. Overall I pretty much like this primer; it performs as well as I'd expected it to. Idk about how "natural" the ingredients are though...

Nail polish remover pads






















Price: $1.00

What they say: These convenient pads quickly and easily remove nail polish without the mess associated with bottled remover. Citrus scent and gentle formula leave nails fresh and soft.

Ingredients: What really made me laugh about this product was the ingredient list. On the back of the packaging, "Foamy agent" is listed as the first ingredient, then alcohol, perfume, and water. Online, the ingredients are credited as: Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Hexyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol. Ehhh?

The good stuff:

  • Inexpensive
  • Effectively removes nailpolish
  • I guess it does somewhat smell like citrus
  • Great idea/packaging
  • Portable

The low-down:

  • Gets messy and sticky after awhile
  • Takes some rubbing to get certain nail polish off

My take: This is such a great idea and I find it very useful. It takes usually only 1 pad to remove my nail polish. It easily removes ELF nail polish but China Glaze / OPI nail polish takes some scrubbing to remove, which causes fingers to get all sticky and messy after awhile of rubbing. This isn't a bad thing though, just wash you hands after. I like the packaging and size is just right to tote around or store in a small space.

Blending wedges






















Price: $3.00

What they say: Soft, but sturdy wedges perfectly apply and blend foundation for a smooth, flawless look. Convenient portable case is perfect for cosmetic bag storage.

The good stuff:
  • They're pink! So cute :D
  • Soft but firm
  • Inexpensive
  • 8 wedges included, package can be used for storage

The low-down:

  • They STINK like HELL!!!

My take: [full review coming soon!]

Makeup remover cleansing cloths






















Price: $3.00

What they say: Gently and easily cleans skin to remove all traces of makeup and dirt, even waterproof mascara. Great for on-the-go travel. Gentle cloths are soft and soothing for even the most sensitive skin. Infused with Aloe Vera Extract for deep hydration and moisture. 20 Pre-moistened cloths included. Dimensions - Package: 6.5"L x 4.5"W x 1"H, Cloth: 7.25"L x 6.75"W

What to do: Gently wipe face with the cloth to remove dirt and makeup. Rinse off with warm water and towel dry. Dispose of the cloth in trash receptacle (do not flush). After removing cloth, reseal and close lid.

Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Caprylic/Capric Trigylceride, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Glyceryl Sterate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Tocopherol, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf) Extract, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

The good stuff:
  • Great packaging
  • Wipes are damp but not saturated with product
  • Removes most makeup
  • Inexpensive

The low-down:

  • Alcohol scent
  • Stings my eyes
  • Didn't completely remove all makeup
  • Left an oily feeling film on my face

My take: Totally disappointed in these. Will not buy again. Although the packaging is awesome, the product needs some work. It does remove makeup, but not totally effectively. You get what you pay for. There is an alcohol scent and the makeup remover also stung my eyes just by putting the cloth near my eye area. Took lots of scrubbing to get my eye makeup mostly off and in the end, I had an oily film feeling on my face, comparable to that of the Clean and Clear wipes I reviewed awhile back. This product is a no-go for me.



11 comments :

  1. aww,too bad,the kabuki looks really soft !:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH EMMMM GEEEEEEEEEEEE! I hate elf. I love the price but i hate the quality. I'm not high maintenance or anything but compare those brushes and makeup to what i have been used to is totally different. I really want to love elf, but elf and i will never work out. ='(

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh I love your haul, very nice blog. Followed you ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see they added a Blush Brush! That and those Mineral Lipglosses are next on my list. =D

    I've never ordered from Go Jane before (thought about), how are they w/ shipping?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear! thanks for the haul review! I'm definitely going to stay away from those items

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice haul, let me know how the kabuki brush works out for you :)

    & I bought the candy as this Chinese super market near my house, but I don't know the name of it, it's not an english name. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really want that powder brush!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OoOo nice haul! I looove the nourishing cuticle pen! I've been using it since I got it in my last ELF package and it's working great! Haha I just ordered some ELF brushes for my mom too :D Yeah I noticed the weird smell in the mineral eyeshadow primer too...so I haven't used it yet. :S lol Omg...I wanna go ELF hauling again! Darn shopping ban!

    You should enter the giveaway! You never know what could happen! :) I wasn't winning anything for a while too until I won Eki's Anna Sui clutch one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just ordered my Kabuki! I'm so excited for it! I didnt like their nail polish wipes, I find they dry out SUPER fast once you open them! The Mineral eye primer is pretty good, but feels kinda thin-ish. The makeup remover wipes do such a GREAT job at removing my makeup and my gel eyeliners! But I agree, the wipes are drenched in liquid! Every time I push down on the wipe I get solution in my eye, and that's never fun. Trying to figure out a way to lessen the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, I was hoping the ELF makeup remover wipes were good, cuz the black packaging looks awesome and so sleek :T

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great haul and review.

    I picked up some of these during the sale.
    BTW: The Kabuki brush was $5.

    ReplyDelete

If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to drop me a line and I'll get back to you asap :)