Saturday, May 8, 2010

Review + Swatches: ELF Studio Blushes

Hello loves! Just had to pop this review out today because I am in LOVE with these blushes and couldn't wait to share their wonderfulness with you all! After reading Stacey's review @ Stacieeelovesit, I know I'm going to add Mellow Mauve to my collection soon! ;)

Price:
$3 each from ELF

What they say + Ingredients:
(click to view larger)

TICKLED PINK


FUSCHIA FUSION


PEACHY KEEN


CANDID CORAL


GOTTA GLOW


From top-left, clockwise:
Tickled Pink, Fuschia Fusion, Gotta Glow, Candid Coral, Peachy Keen

TICKLED PINK

FUSCHIA FUSION

PEACHY KEEN

CANDID CORAL

GOTTA GLOW


SWATCHES
From left to right:
Candid Coral, Peachy Keen, Tickled Pink, Fuschia Fusion, Gotta Glow

The good stuff:
  • Inexpensive
  • Gorgeous shades
  • Sleek packaging w/ mirror
  • Lots of product
  • For the most part, not powdery!
  • Smooth texture
  • For the most part, nice pigmentation!
  • Applies evenly
  • Sheer to Buildable color
The low-down:

  • Some shades are slightly more powdery than others
  • Some shades are harder to pick up color
  • Pigmentation seems to vary a bit

My take: I LOVE THESE BLUSHES. Inexpensive, nice packaging, and so many gorgeous shades to choose from! I got Candid Coral and Peachy Keen with an earlier order from ELF, and the last three, Tickled Pink, Fuschia Fusion, and Gotta Glow; with my most recent ELF haul.

I think I should start off by saying that I have seen various swatches and read various reviews, and it seems that the pigmentation of these blushes seem to vary. Some people say it's great, while others say it's nearly non-existant. Some swatches I've seen are very vibrant, while others are barely there. For me, Candid Coral, Peachy Keen, and Tickled Pink are very sheer when swatched on my arm/hand (of course my arm is dark than my face :P) -- I had to do 4+ swipes to get the color to show up well. However, when applied on my cheeks, Candid Coral and Peachy Keen give a gorgeous fresh glow, and Tickled Pink gives a soft pop of color. Candid Coral does not really look "coral-y" to me, it is more pink IMO, with slight gold shimmers (the shimmers don't really show up on my face). Peachy Keen is, of course, peachy! It also has slight gold shimmers. Tickled Pink is a pretty, soft, matte pink.

Candid Coral and Peachy Keen are the least powdery of the Studio blushes I own, and it takes a little more work to load the color onto my brush (I use my EcoTools Blush Brush). However, it's good for me because I prefer sheer shades that are buildable. Tickled Pink is easier to swipe up color and is only slightly powdery.

Fuschia Fusion and Gotta Glow are extremely pigmented, and I have to apply them with a light hand. Fuschia Fusion isn't really "fuschia" IMO, but it is a lovely bright pink with gorgeous gold flecks in it. In the pan it looks really shimmery but the shimmers don't show up on my face like a disco ball, so that's a plus! Gotta Glow is more of a shimmery whitish-yellowish highlight IMO, not sure why it's considered a "blush"? But it is still extremely pretty and does a great job at highlighting my cheekbones and the bridge of my nose.

These two shades are more powdery than the other three, so you only need a little to get a lot of color. Thus, the Fuschia Fusion and Gotta Glow cases get messiest the easiest, but that's not a big deal because they're easy to clean.

Overall, each of these blushes is absolutely gorgeous, you just have to adjust your application method to pick up the amount of color you want. They are nowhere near as powdery and messy as the $1 ELF blusher/bronzer and you get a lot more product! Application is smooth and even; the color starts out sheer but is absolutely buildable. Great for giving a fresh glow, bright pop of color, or dewy highlight : )

Would I repurchase/recommend?: Yes, I would repurchase these blushes and I am hoping to add a few more shades to my collection. I think these are excellent for the price and a better buy than the $1 blushes/bronzers just because there is less mess and the packaging is better (not that the $1 ones aren't pretty!) I would definitely recommend these blushes to any blush-maniacs out there!



No comments :

Post a Comment

If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to drop me a line and I'll get back to you asap :)