Thursday, June 10, 2010

Product Comparison: ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer VS Urban Decay Primer Potion

Hello loves! Today I wanted to do a comparison between two eye primers; ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer and Urban Decay Primer Potion (UDPP). While many people swear by the latter; I, on the other hand, am not going to shell out $18 if I don't have to. But how does ELF's $3 Mineral Eyeshadow Primer stack up against this cult classic? Read on to find out!

NOTE: I don't know if I've ever mentioned this before but I actually don't own many (good) eyeshadow brushes, so I normally use sponge-tip applicators to pack on the eyeshadow color where I want it, and then use brushes to blend. I do this because I usually don't have much problems getting the color to show up with any eyeshadow (crappy quality or otherwise), when using sponge-tip applicators; however, I do have that problem when I try to use brushes (N0ob, I know. I really should invest in some good ones, huh). But for this product comparison, I used my EcoTools Eyeshadow brush to lay the color down.

In this post, I'm going to be comparing the two primers by using them with various colors, types, textures, and brands of eyeshadow.



Shades & Finishes
How do these primers work with different shades and finishes of eyeshadow?


LIGHT SHADE - First up is a very, very shimmery light taupe shade from my ELF Brightening Eyeshadow quad in "Day 2 Night." As you can see, without a base, it barely shows up on my skin at all. It is VERY powdery. After all, this is a $1 quad. Both primers provide a good base for the powder to adhere to but needs several (3-4) layers to get the most pigmentation. Over the ELF primer, the color is quite obviously enchanced. Over UDPP, it is a lot darker. However, the actual shade itself is not that dark. In the pan, it most closely resembles the way it looks over the ELF primer, and that is the way I'd like it to show up on my eyes.

Winner of this round: ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer.


MEDIUM SHADE - Next up is a frosty-metallic deep gold shade from my Maybelline Eye Studio quad in "Give me gold." Without a base, it applies sheer; which is good for a highlight. It's not too powdery. Very smooth. This quad is $8, so it's pretty good. But what if you want more vibrant color? Over the ELF primer, I'd say it kind of looks washed out. The color is not as bold as I'd like it to be. Over the UDPP, the color is nicely enhanced, and most closely resembles what the shade looks like in the pan. It also nicely subdues the super frosty finish that you get with the ELF primer. Both primers provide a good base for the shadow to adhere to with only a layer or two.

Winner of this round: Urban Decay Primer Potion.



DARK SHADE: Last up in this section is Urban Decay Matte Eyeshadow in "Shakedown," which is described as "taupe." Since this single shadow is $17, it better be good. It's not powdery and super smooth. Without a base, pigmentation is already good. Both primers provide a good base for this shadow to adhere to with with only a layer or two. However, you can see that there are some obvious differences in the shade when applied over the different primers. Over the ELF primer, the shade is nicely enhanced. Over the UDPP, the shade is darkened... and in my opinion, darked WAY too much. It looks like a whole different color, verging on dark brown rather than taupe. The shadow over the ELF primer most closely resembles that in the pan and I like how it's darkened but not entirely changed.

Winner of this round: ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer




Color
How do these primers work with different colors of eyeshadow?

I'm going to be using a light green and vibrant blue shade from my Sephora Color Play Palette. While this palette has beautifully bold shades, the texture is TERRIBLE. ALL of the shadows are extremely powdery and lack pigmentation. This palette was only $22 so I guess I can't expect too much.



First up is this light, almost seafoam green shade. Without a base, it barely shows up at all. Over the ELF primer, the color shows up very nicely, and very accurately. However for some reason, it didn't show up all that well over the UDPP. Hmm. This shadow is extremely light and powdery so it did take 3-4 layers to get it to show up this pigmented. I guess it just didn't want to work with UDPP?

Winner of this round: ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer


Next up is a bright, blue shade. Again, with no base, it barely shows up. Over the ELF primer, it is quite obviously enhanced... but over the UDPP, the colors just looks a lot better and brighter and bolder. This shade is a little less powdery than the green one, and also more pigmented. So it adhered better to the UDPP with 2 layers, while it took a bit more over the ELF Primer.

Winner of this round: Urban Decay Primer Potion.



Brand & Texture
How do these primers work with different brands and textures of eyeshadow?


First up is Rimmel Glam Eyes Mono Eyeshadow in "Night Jewel." This single shade is $2.99 from Target. Decent for its price. It's a dark charcoal shade with some shimmer, and it's very powdery. Without a base, the shadow shows up very washed out. Even though this shadow is powdery, it adhered to the primers rather well. So it only took a few layers to get this pigmentation. However, over the ELF primer, it still seems a bit washed out to me. The intensity is not as good as it is over UDPP.


Winner of this round: Urban Decay Primer Potion.




Next up is a dark brown shade from my ELF Brightening Eyeshadow quad in "Butternut." Although the quad is only $1, this particular shade is actually not powdery at all. However, since this shadow is is rock-hard, it's very difficult to pick up on the brush and get it to show up... it took 5+ layers over both primers. Thus, without a base, it barley shows up at all. Over the ELF Primer, it shows up nice and sheer but... seems a bit washed out. Over the UDPP, it shows up darker and more accurately, like how the shade looks in the pan.

Winner of this round: Urban Decay Primer Potion.



The final score?
ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer - 3
Urban Decay Primer Potion - 4

Close one! However, this doesn't by any means indicate which one I prefer. While both primers work nicely on my arm... they don't work exactly the same way on my eyes. Both have definite pros and cons in my opinion.



Comparison


ELF Mineral Eyeshadow


PROS:

  • Inexpensive ($3)
  • Easy to apply
  • Smooth texture
  • A little goes a long way
  • Enhances eyeshadow colors to a certain extent. Better for neutral shades.
  • Increases lasting power
  • Easy to blend over

CONS:

  • Dries quickly
  • In order for the shadow to adhere and be enhanced the best, eyeshadow needs to be applied right away.
  • After a few minutes, it begins to lose its "effectiveness." However, it does still somewhat darken shadows and increase their lasting power... just not amazingly so.

Urban Decay Primer Potion

PROS:

  • Easy to apply
  • Smooth texture
  • A little goes a long way
  • Retains its effectiveness for a good amount of time
  • Enhances eyeshadow colors. Better for bright, bold shades
  • Increases lasting power

CONS:

  • Expensive
  • Poor packaging design
  • Dries quickly
  • Can darken certain shades TOO much
  • Since it stays "effective" so much longer than the ELF primer, it makes it harder to blend... some shadows get so "stuck" to this primer, they don't budge and end up looking harsh.



Final Thoughts

In general, no matter the primer, I think they will perform better if you are using higher quality eyeshadows. If you use inexpensive shadows like the ELF quad, it seems it will work better with UDPP. Also, if you want vibrant colors to show up more bold, UDPP seems a better choice. However, if you just want something to use for everyday looks, then the ELF primer is a better choice for beauty on a budget. It seems to keep the colors of the shadows truer (despite slightly lighter) and is easier to blend with. The main things you need to be aware of with these primers are the drying times and differences in lasting "effectiveness."

Overall, if you want a primer that will give you lots of "playtime," increase lasting power, and make colors very vibrant, I'd go with UDPP. But if you want a primer that is easier to blend with, good for simple looks / neutral shades, and keeps colors the way you see them in the pan; I'd go with the ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer.

No comments :

Post a Comment

If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to drop me a line and I'll get back to you asap :)