Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Review: LUSH Mint Julips Lip Scrub

I got to try out this product thanks to the lovely Sheila of Mademoiselle Loves Beauty : )



Price: $8.95 (Lush USA)


What they say: Our fabulous lip scrubs are here to keep your kissers sweet. When you use Mint Julips, you'll find yourself craving a bowl of mint-chocolate chip ice cream. It's made with refreshing peppermint oil, which will make your lips feel soothed and tingly, and sweet vanilla extract to lock in moisture and protect your lips. Simply rub it over your lips when they're feeling the need for some sugar.

What's in it: Castor Sugar (Sucrose), Organic Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia chinensis), Vanilla Extract (Vanilla planifolia), Tagetes Oil (Tagese minuta), Peppermint Oil (Mentha piperita), *Limonene, Flavour}

The good stuff:
  • Sturdy packaging
  • Smells/tastes good... you can eat it
  • Worked better for me than Smashbox Lip Exfoliator

The low-down:

  • Messy
  • Has an aftertaste
  • Only decent at exfoliating for me

My take: This is a chubby little pot of flavored sugar. And yes, you can eat it (I mean, not like diggin' your fingers in there just to snack on some!). While the packaging is sturdy, the product... I feel like I could make it in my kitchen :/ While it does smell/taste nice (just like peppermint chocolate!), I find that it leaves a strange sweet aftertaste that I don't particularly like. I will say, it did do a lot better job on the first go at exfoliating my lips than the Smashbox Emulsion Lip Exfoliant (reviewed here). It is a lot messier though, I get sugar all over the place, even if I try to use just a little! Plus, sugar gets around the rim of the container, making it messier to screw on the lid.

Still, it decenty exfoliates my lips and makes them smooth, but nothing so amazing that I use it often (mostly due to the aftertaste). Another thing to note, on the Lush UK website, the sugar looks brownish and... wet-ish. Mine is whitish-yellowish, and dry. On the Lush USA website, it looks more like mine. But mine is the Lush UK version. Is it supposed to be more on the wet side??? I think that would make it a lot less messy.

Would I repurchase/recommend? No, I don't think I would repurchase this product. While it's adorable and a decent exfoliant, I think it's a bit gimmicky. I guess I would recommend this to those who have a sweet tooth, and want to get their sugar fix while exfoliating their lips!


The Rundown:

Packaging:
4/5
A cute, sturdy glass jar, but sugar gets stuck in lid.

Product: 1/5
Good concept... but messy. Could use some improvement.

Price: 3/5
Not the priciest lip exfoliant I've ever seen, but still, it's like you're paying for a tiny pot of sugar.

Overall:


[ click here to read about my Review & Rating System ]


No comments :

Post a Comment

If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, feel free to drop me a line and I'll get back to you asap :)